Sunday, August 17, 2008

Field visit the second

Well, I finally had a chance to get out to one of our field sites again. I really enjoy the field visits, as it is nice to get out of the bustle of Khartoum into some open spaces. It’s also very useful to meet all of the field staff, and to see firsthand some of their constraints and challenges.

A couple of amusing tales that arose out of my visit:

- our first stop was at a school, and it reminded me of Malawi in the best possible way. In Khartoum, foreigners are commonplace, but in the villages here in Sudan, foreigners are a rarity, and I was treated to being surrounded by thousands of curious eyes that followed me around wherever I went. Not something I want all the time, but it was fun to be surrounded by children again and see some of what my cheque signing pays for

- at another site, we were sitting under a tin roof when it sounded like rain had started to come down. As it turns out, in very hot conditions, you can actually hear the roof expanding. You may think I’m crazy, but I found this fascinating.

- Even more fascinating was a story I heard from our Program Coordinator as we were driving around. I was commenting on the dearth of chickens around, and talking about how in Malawi I was used to seeing chickens running wild in the villages. He told me that in Zambia, they actually paint the chickens to camouflage them so the eagles won’t swoop down and eat them

Anyhow, it was a fun visit. The next big thing on my schedule is a trip to Europe for 2-3 weeks in September. I’ll be visiting Ireland for the first time, and then travelling onto Holland, possibly stopping in London if time and money allows it. All for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.